I began reading a book recently; Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver (Water Brook Press) and wanted to share something with you that I got from the book.
Chapter 1, page 1 & 2
“In 1814, Martha Forman was married to a wealthy Maryland plantation owner. You might expect she spent her days sipping tea, being fitted for lovely gowns, and giving orders to her servants as she chatted with important guests. Instead, Martha worked right beside her servants from four in the morning to eleven o’clock at night. Among her daily activities were the following:
Making thirty to thirty-four pounds of old tallow into candles; cutting out fourteen shirts, jackets or trousers for the slaves (whom she always called “the people” or “our family”); knitting stockings; washing; dyeing and spinning wool; baking mince pies and potato puddings; sowing wheat or reaping it; killing farm animals and salting the meat; planting or picking fruits and vegetables; making jams, jellies, and preserves with her fruit; helping whitewash or paint walls; ironing; preparing for large parties; caring for sick family and slaves.
So, what did you do today?”
I’m reading this book very slowly as it’s hard to find time to read it, ironic huh? Well, I’m in chapter 2 and I already know this is going to be a book that really helps me get back on track. I am so far away from daily Bible study and I’m slacking in the prayer department almost as bad as my Bible studies. So I’m searching for that connection with God again. Even for you men that might be reading this, your life is just as busy as the women’s and you face just as much temptation in your daily activities; and you, as much as us, need protection from daily temptations and evils and without spending time with God (I’m preaching to the choir here) we are all super vulnerable to Satan’s attacks no matter how small or large they may be.
This book is about finding time and building an intimate relationship with God. Yes, I do a lot of things in a day; but after reading what Martha Forman did in any given day’s time I think I should be able to find some time somewhere in my schedule to give to God. I just wanted to share this with anyone that may be struggling in the same manner – that is, not having enough time for God today.
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Don't have time for God today!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment