Saturday, July 26, 2008

First time on E-Bay

Hmmmm...I'm not sure about this e-bay thing... Here's the deal...

At my Southern Living At Home (SLAH) party last November, one of my hostess treats was 50% off a 3-piece place setting for 4 of their Gallery collection. They were beautiful, simple dishes that I loved...(SLAH really doesn't have a lot of stuff that is my style but they have a few pieces I'm interested in). The magazine even warned that the dinner plates were oversized (bigger than 11") and that I should check my cabinets to make sure they would fit prior to purchasing. Well, I didn't care...I wanted them so I just got them. Expecting to use them as my new everyday dishes. Sure 'nough, they didn't fit in our cabinets so I decided to set them out on the dining room table. They always looked so pretty sitting out. (see the pictures below) Four sets was perfect because our dining table seated four.

Well, this past Tuesday afternoon, I was dreaming of how our NEW dining furniture was going to look in there and just knew that those off-white/bone colored dishes were really going to pop on the new black table especially with the dark color we painted the dining room. THEN IT HIT ME...WHILE I WAS DAYDREAMING..."I only have four sets of these - we're getting a table and 6 (SIX) chairs!!!! I can't put 6 chairs around a table with only 4 (FOUR) place settings!!!" So I immediately called Stephen at work and told him that we were going to have to order 2 more 3-piece place settings. Of course his response was..."how much is this going to cost us?"

So I contacted the lady that did my SLAH party in November and asked how much 2 settings would be including the shipping charge and tax...it will cost me $107 for two settings ($53.50/set)...but I'd have to host another party to place the order. So with the party option in my back pocket, I googled "southern living, gallery, for sale" and found 3 people trying to sell these settings on E-Bay. Two of them were "NIB" and "BNIB" (new in box and brand new in box). These two ladies had only used them for display in their SLAH parties...So I have started the bidding war!!!!!

And war it is!!!!!!! Last night I was up till 11:00 trying to win a bid on one of the sets. I LOST! That makes you feel crappy, ya know? You're like - YES - I found it for really cheap! - and then someone comes in and bids almost twice your bid with 2 seconds remaining. Well, at least I helped the seller get full price for them...the winning bid paid $60 to get the set.

So now I don't have too much hope built up on the set that expires today or the one that expires tomorrow...but maybe one day I'll get my 2 additional settings - even if I have to host another SLAH party!!! (Girlfriends - this is your warning that there may be a SLAH party in mine and your future! :-) ...Just to make sure I can get them!)

Hope you all have better luck with this e-bay thing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So good......