Preface: Stephen and Emily Prather came to the house Saturday night for our September night out - although our night out was actually at our house. Stephen Wickwire made gumbo and jambalya and I made bread pudding; and we ate, watched football and visited all night. Emily is expecting a baby girl, Virginia, soon!
So for those that don't know, I crochet! Yes, me! I have made 5 adult afghans and now....I've made my very FIRST baby blanket!!!
This was a very special blanket! I had a MUCH smaller needle and thread than I usually use! I had to really work hard to learn how to hold that tiny thread and grip that much smaller needle! It made me accutely aware that I was making something very special. The whole time I was crocheting it, I kept thinking, "a tiny little baby is going to be wrapped up in this to keep her warm on cold nights", "she's going to snuggle up so cozy". Every stitch was so precious to make! I learned that there is truth to the idea of there being "love in every stitch" because I felt it first hand. This is probably the most perfect blanket I've ever made. All the adult ones I've noticed at some point - too far to go back and fix - that I missed a stitch or left one out but made compensations to correct the error for future rounds...but on this pattern, everything HAD to be perfect. If you missed one stitch or added an extra one, you messed up the the perfect dainty lines of the patterns. I counted and re-counted and re-counted again to make sure it was perfect. There were several times I noticed errors and had to undo 2 or 3 rows to correct it - but I did it with so much hope to make it perfect for Baby Virginia!
Virginia is due October 15th to Stephen and Emily Prather. Both of the Prathers went to Owen Graduate School at Vandy with my Stephen. They knew each other but we didn't become close until after graduation when a common friend, Rachel Pike Wade, told us we just had to meet and get to know them. That was in about April of 2007 and every since then we've met at least once a month to have dinner or for them to come to the house to watch football and have gumbo and jambalaya! The Prathers are the ones that we share our CSA veggies with! They are such dear friends and our lives are so much brighter just getting to see them once a month! Stephen and I look forward to spending many more moments with the Prathers in our future!
Most of all right now, we can't wait to meet Virginia! If she's anything like her Momma, she'll be one of the most beautiful, sweetest, Christian women I will meet! Stephen and Emily will be wonderful parents!
Here are pictures of my very first baby blanket!!!
Monday, September 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Wow! The baby blanket really turned out perfectly. I'm sure she was SO surprised and happy to receive it from you. What a sweet (and time consuming) gift! :-)
Oh, and I had no idea Stephen can make jumbalaya! You holding out on me, girl? JK...
Post a Comment